Overseas Trained Teachers

The Four year rule

Overseas Trained Teachers may teach in state maintained schools and non-maintained special schools in England as unqualified teachers for four calendar years. This is known as the four year rule and it applies to teachers who qualified in countries outside of the EEA and Switzerland except for teachers who qualified in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America (USA). You are free to apply for any vacancy that you feel qualified for, and should discuss gaining QTS at interview. Please note that schools are reluctant to appoint candidates that they cannot interview face to face, and London Borough of Newham does not recruit directly from overseas.

Teachers Trained in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the USA

From 1 April 2012, OTTs who qualified in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the USA will be recognised as qualified teachers and awarded Qualified Teacher Status in England without being required to undertake any further training or assessment. OTTs are still required to satisfy any UK Border Agency requirements that may apply for the purposes of entering or remaining in the UK to work as a teacher. In order to be awarded recognition as a qualified teacher, OTTs will need to have satisfied both of the following conditions in Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA: (a) OTTs must have successfully completed a course of initial teacher training which is recognised by the competent authority in that country; and (b) have successfully completed or satisfied any additional conditions, including any period of professional experience comparable to an induction period, which are required for employment on a permanent basis in government schools.

Teachers trained in the European Economic Area (EEA)

Teachers qualified in the EEA with qualifications equivalent to UK teaching qualifications can access teaching positions in the same way as home-trained teachers.

If you trained outside the EEA you can also apply for QTS in England. An EEA member state needs to recognise your qualifications and you will need 3 years of experience as a teacher in that state.

Swiss nationals are also eligible to apply for QTS in England.

Teachers trained in countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA)

If you trained in a country outside of the EEA, other than Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA, you need to complete an accredited teacher training course in England to obtain QTS and take up a permanent teaching post.

Applying for QTS

OTTs must apply to the National College of Teaching & Leadership for the award of QTS before they can be recognised as qualified teachers. Further details and  application forms can be downloaded from: www.gov.uk

For further information about Teaching in England please see: www.gov.uk

Please see the following files for further useful information:

Useful Contacts for Overseas Trained Teachers (pdf format)
Frequently Asked Questions (pdf format)